with mascarpone and praline
- ½ cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons almond meal (ground almonds)
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar, extra
- ¼ cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
Vanilla mascarpone cream
- ¾ cup (180ml) single (pouring) cream
- ⅓ cup (55g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250g mascarpone
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a lightly greased 29cm x 41cm baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Sift the flour, baking powder and almond meal three times and set aside.
- Place the eggs and caster sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk on high speed for 10 minutes or until pale, thick and tripled in volume. Sift half the flour mixture over the egg mixture and, using a metal spoon, gently fold to combine. Repeat with remaining flour mixture. Add the butter and gently fold to combine. Pour mixture into the prepared tray and gently smooth the top with a palette knife. Bake for 7–8 minutes or until just cooked.
- While the cake is cooking, place a large piece of non-stick baking paper on a kitchen bench and sprinkle evenly with the extra caster sugar.
- Turn out the cake onto the prepared paper (removing the paper from the tray). Using the prepared paper and starting from 1 of the short sides, roll up the cake. Cover with a tea towel and set aside, seam-side down, to cool completely.
- To make the praline, place the sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat and cook until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high and cook, without stirring, for 8–9 minutes or until dark golden brown.Pour immediately onto the prepared tray. Set aside to cool completely. Once the praline has cooled, break into shards. Place in a mortar and pound with a pestle until crushed.
- To make the mascarpone cream, place the cream, sugar, vanilla and mascarpone in the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk until stiff. Carefully unroll the cake and spread with the mascarpone cream. Roll the cake back up to enclose the filling. Trim the edges. Slice the roll and top with crushed praline to serve. Serves 6–8
There are no comments for this entry yet.