chocolate freckle cake
- 2 cups plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 200g (7 oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (8 fl oz) milk
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- coloured sprinkles to decorate
- 2½ cups (600ml) double (thick) cream
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, sifted
- ¼ cup icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
- ½ cup store-bought hazelnut spread
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F). Place the flour, almond meal, baking powder, sugar, butter, eggs, milk and cocoa in a bowl
and mix well to combine. Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 22cm (8½ in) round cake tin lined with baking paper. Bake for
1¼ hours or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in
the tin for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack.
- To make the chocolate icing, place the cream, cocoa, icing sugar and hazelnut spread in a bowl and mix well to combine. Trim the top off the cake and brush off any crumbs using a pastry brush.
- Place the sprinkles on a baking tray. Spread some of the icing over the sides of the cake with a palette knife and roll the cake in the sprinkles to coat. Secure the cake upside down on a cake board with a dollop of icing and spread the remaining icing over the top. Serves 10–12.
There are no comments for this entry yet.