baked red curry chicken
and coconut dhal
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- 1 long red chilli, sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander (cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups (500ml) good-quality chicken stock
- 1 x 400ml can coconut milk
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 2 cups (400g) split red lentils
- 6 stalks kale (170g), stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- coriander (cilantro) leaves and lime wedges, to serve
red curry chicken
- ¼ cup (75g) red curry paste
- ½ cup (125ml) thick coconut cream
- 6 x 145g small chicken thighs on the bone, skin-on+
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F).
- To make the red curry chicken, mix the curry paste and coconut cream together and spread over the skin of the chicken. Set aside.
- Heat a large, deep, round ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and onions and cook, stirring occasionally for 7 minutes, or until golden. Add the ginger, chilli, cumin, coriander and turmeric and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the stock, coconut milk, water and lentils to the pan and bring to a simmer. Fold the kale through and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the chicken over the lentils and place the pan into the oven. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until the chicken is golden and cooked through. Top with coriander and serve with lime wedges. Serves 6
+ You can remove the skin from the chicken if you prefer.
There are no comments for this entry yet.