broccoli and crème fraîche soup with pancetta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 large broccoli (750g), thinly sliced
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- ⅓ cup (80ml) crème fraîche, plus extra to serve
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 8 thin slices flat pancetta
- 2 cups (140g) coarse sourdough breadcrumbs
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 200g Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until the onion is softened. Add the broccoli and cook, covered, for 3–4 minutes or until softened. Add the stock and water and bring to the boil. Cook for 5 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Using a hand-held stick blender, blend until smooth. Stir through the crème fraîche, salt and pepper.
- While the soup is cooking, heat a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook the pancetta for 1 minute or until crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil, add the breadcrumbs and thyme, and cook for 2 minutes or until crisp. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook for 1 minute or until softened. Divide the soup between bowls, top with the extra crème fraîche, breadcrumb mixture and crispy pancetta to serve. Serves 4
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.