Crispy Chilli Chicken
- ½ cup (125ml) peanut oil
- 12 whole dried chillies
- ¼ cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 800g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed and chopped
- 4cm piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup (90g) kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 6 green onions (scallions), cut to 3cm lengths
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add the chillies and cook for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- Place the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix to combine. Dust the chicken in the flour mixture. Add the chicken to the wok and cook for 8 minutes or until golden. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Remove the chicken, ginger and garlic with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Discard the oil and return the chicken and chillies to the wok. Add the kecap manis and onion and cook, tossing, for 1 minute or until the kecap manis is mixed through. Serve immediately. Serves 4–6.
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.