crispy pork belly
- 1.2 kg piece boneless pork belly, skin scored at 5cm intervals+
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2½ cups (625ml) cloudy apple juice
- ¼ cup (60ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 6 sage sprigs
- 4 small red apples, halved
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Rub salt into the pork skin and drizzle with oil.
- Place the pork, skin side down, in a deep-sided roasting pan and roast for 1 hour. Remove any excess fat from the pan with a spoon and discard.
- Turn the pork, add the apple juice, vinegar, sugar and sage and cook for a further 40 minutes or until the skin is golden and crunchy.
- Add the apples to the pan and cook for 20 minutes or until and the apples and meat are tender.
- Serve the pork with roasted apples and the pan sauce and wilted greens tossed with garlic oil. Serves 4
+ To ensure the perfect crackle, before starting this recipe score the skin at 5cm intervals. Dry the pork in the refrigerator, uncovered for 3-4 hours or until the skin feels dry to touch.
Photography: Con Poulos
There are no comments for this entry yet.