potato, tarragon and cabbage pie
- 5 large white cabbage leaves, stems removed and leaves halved
- 2 sebago (starchy) potatoes (450g), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup tarragon leaves
- 300g stracchino+, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Place the cabbage pieces, in 4 batches, in a large saucepan of salted boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Drain, refresh in iced water and set aside to drain well on paper towel. Add the potato to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Drain, refresh in iced water and set aside to drain on paper towel.
- Use 6 of the the largest cabbage pieces to line the base and sides of a lightly greased 22cm round cake tin, leaving approximately 8cm hanging over the side of the tin. Top with a layer of potato, slightly overlapping the slices. Top with a layer of the onion, tarragon and stracchino. Repeat twice more to create 3 layers. Fold over the overhanging cabbage leaves and press well to enclose. Place the tin in a large deep-sided roasting tray and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the tin. Cover with aluminium foil and cook for 1 hour–1 hour 10 minutes or until tender when tested with a skewer.
- Remove the foil, brush with the oil and cook for a further 15–20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from the water bath and cut into wedges to serve. Serves 6.
+ Stracchino is available from delicatessens and cheese stores. If you can’t find it, you can substitute with mozzarella.
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.