butterscotch, peach and
ginger individual panettones
- 2¾ teaspoons dry yeast
- ⅓ cup (80ml) lukewarm milk
- 3 cups (450g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ¼ cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1½ cups (240g) mixed dried peach, apricot, pear and apple+, finely chopped
- ½ cup (110g) crystallised ginger, finely chopped
- ½ cup (125ml) butterscotch schnapps
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 275g unsalted butter, chopped and softened
- Place the yeast and milk in a medium bowl and mix to combine. Set aside in a warm place for 5 minutes or until creamy. Add ½ cup (75g) of the flour and 1 tablespoon of the sugar and mix well to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until the mixture is foamy.
- Place the mixed fruit, ginger, schnapps and vanilla in a small saucepan over high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6–7 minutes or until the schnapps is absorbed. Set aside to cool completely.
- Place the eggs, yeast mixture, the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and the remaining 2½ cups (375g) of flour in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix to combine. With the motor running, gradually add the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the fruit mixture and beat for 1 minute or until well combined. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl and set aside for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease 12 x ¾-cup-capacity (180ml) metal dariole moulds and line the bases with non-stick baking paper. Divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll into balls.
- Place the balls inside the moulds and place on a large oven tray. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes or until risen. Remove the plastic wrap and bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. While still warm, carefully remove the panettones from the moulds and place on a wire rack to cool, before serving. Makes 12
+ Packets of whole mixed dried fruit are available from the supermarket. You can use your favourite combination.
There are no comments for this entry yet.