chocolate chai waffles
with spiced chocolate syrup
- 1½ cups (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ¼ cup (35g) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup (25g) Dutch cocoa
- 2 tablespoons loose chai tea
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1½ cup (375ml) buttermilk
- ¼ cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, separated
- vanilla ice-cream, to serve
CHOCOLATE CHAI AND HONEY SYRUP
- ½ cup (125ml) honey
- ¼ cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoons loose chai tea
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 50g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Place the flour, cornflour, baking powder, cocoa, chai tea, mixed spice and sugar in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the buttermilk, vegetable oil and egg yolks and whisk until smooth.
- Place the eggwhites in a medium bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the eggwhites into the flour mixture to combine.
- Preheat a lightly greased waffle maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Cook ¾-cup of the waffle mixture for 3–4 minutes or until crisp. Repeat with the remaining mixture to make 6 waffles.
- While the waffles are cooking, make the syrup. Place the honey, sugar, chai tea and water in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Increase the heat to high, add the chocolate and mix to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 4 minutes or until syrupy. Divide the waffles between plates and top with ice-cream and syrup to serve. Serves 6.
There are no comments for this entry yet.