- 2 cups (500ml) milk, at room temperature
- 12 eggwhites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4½ cups (675g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons baking powder, sifted
- 3½ cups (770g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 340g butter, softened
- ⅓ cup coloured sprinkles
cream cheese icing
- 150g butter, softened
- 750g cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups (480g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar mixture, sifted
- pink food colouring
- Preheat oven to 175°C (345°F). Divide the ingredients for the cake mixture into 2 equal batches. To make the first batch, place the milk, eggwhites and vanilla in a bowl and lightly whisk to combinte. Set aside.
- Place the flour, baking powder and sugar in an electric mixer and mix on low speed until combined. Add the butter and beat until mixture resembles fine, moist crumbs. Increase speed to medium and gradually add the milk mixture, beating for 2 minutes or until just combined.
- Divide half the first batch of cake mixture between 2 x 20cm-round lightly greased cake tins lined with non-stick baking paper, reserving the remaining mixture. Sprinkle each cake with 1 tablespoon coloured sprinkles and spoon over the remaining mixture. Bake for 35–37 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow cakes to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- To make the second batch, repeat the method above using the remaining cake mixture ingredients.
- To make the cream cheese icing, place the butter and cheese in an electric mixer and beat for 6–8 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add the icing sugar and beat for a further 6–8 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Divide the icing into two bowls. Add a few drops of pink food colouring to one bowl and stir to combine.
- To assemble the cake, trim the tops from the four cakes and discard. Layer each cake with ¾ cup white icing to create 1 x 4-layer cake. Using a palette knife, ice the bottom half of the cake with the pink icing. Ice the top and upper half of the cake with the white icing. Run a palette knife around the sides of the cake to blur the icing. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until icing is just set. Serves 12–16.
There are no comments for this entry yet.