lemon meringue pudding
- 1½ cups (375ml) milk
- 1½ cups (375ml) coconut milk
- ¾ cup (60g) desiccated coconut
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 150ml egg whites (about 4 egg whites)
- ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Place the milk, coconut milk, coconut, butter, eggs, yolks, flour, sugar, lemon juice and rind into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a 6-cup (1.5 litre) capacity shallow baking dish. Bake for 30–35 minutes or until just set. Remove from the oven.
- Increase oven temperature to 220°C (425°F).
- To make the meringue, place the egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until each addition has dissolved before adding more.
- Once all the sugar has been added, scrape down the sides of the bowl and whisk for a further 10 minutes or until thick and glossy.
- Spoon the meringue onto the pudding base and bake for a further 5 minutes or until the meringue is lightly golden. Serves 6
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.