- 1.5kg corned silverside or brisket
- 3 bay leaves
- 12 peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- ⅓ cup (80ml) malt vinegar
- ½ cup (90g) brown sugar
- 6 pickling onions
- 1 bunch baby carrots, trimmed and peeled
- Place the beef in a large, heavy-based deep saucepan. Add the bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, vinegar, sugar, onions and enough water to cover. Place over high heat and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes or when the beef is firm to the touch. Add the carrots in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Use a slotted spoon to occasionally skim the foam from the surface. Serves 6.
We love this recipe!!! I only use 1.5 Tblspns of brown sugar and its perfect. Thanks Donna
my family love this recipe. I switch out the cloves for a few star anise which gives it a lovely soft undertone of aniseed. I dislike cloves, and this tastes lovely.
Excellent recipe! A tad sweet (or not as salty as expected) Will try with half the sugar next time.
Also, took the left over broth and veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, sweet and normal potato mash) and made soup for tomorrow night - sure it will be a hit! Thanks