two-tiered coconut and sprinkle cake
- 5 cups (750g) self raising (self-rising) flour, sifted
- 3½ cups (770g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 cups (160g) desiccated coconut
- 500g unsalted butter, melted
- 8 eggs
- 2½ cups (625ml) milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125g) coloured sprinkles
vanilla butter icing
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (320g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- green food colouring
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Lightly grease an 18cm round cake tin and a 24cm round cake tin and line the bases and sides with non-stick baking paper, ensuring you have 3cm of overhang. Set aside.
- Place the flour, sugar, coconut, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until well combined. Divide the mixture between the two tins, ensuring they come three-quarters up the sides of the tins.
- Bake the 18cm cake for 1 hour 10 minutes–1 hour 15 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Bake the 24cm cake for 1 hour 35 minutes–1 hour 40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- To make the vanilla butter icing, place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 6–8 minutes or until pale and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the icing sugar and vanilla and beat for a further 10–15 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add a few drops of the green food colouring and beat until well combined.
- To assemble, trim the top of the cakes. Using a palette knife, spread ¾ cup of the icing onto the sides of the 24cm cake. Place the sprinkles in an even layer on a baking tray, and carefully roll the sides of the cake in the sprinkles to coat.
- Place the cake on a cake stand or serving plate and ice the top with ¾ cup of the icing. Using a palette knife, spread ⅓ cup of the icing onto the sides of the 18cm cake. Carefully roll the sides of the cake in the sprinkles to coat.
- Place the small cake on top of the large cake and spread the top with the remaining icing to serve. Serves 16–18.
There are no comments for this entry yet.