flourless carrot cake
with cream cheese icing
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 1½ cups (265g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125ml) sunflower oil
- 3½ cups (440g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 400g carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 cup (75g) shredded coconut
- ½ cup (70g) roasted slivered almonds
- ½ cup (80g) currants
cream cheese icing
- 250g cream cheese, chopped
- ⅓ cup (55g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar mixture, sifted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Line the base of a lightly greased 24cm springform tin with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
- Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer and whisk for 15 minutes or until thick and tripled in volume.
- Place the oil, almond meal, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, carrot, coconut, almonds and currants in a large bowl and mix well to combine. Fold through the egg mixture and spoon into the tin. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes – 1 hour 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out with a few crumbs attached. Allow to cool completely in the tin before refrigerating for 2–3 hours or until firm.
- To make the cream cheese icing, place the cream cheese and sugar in an electric mixer and beat for 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the lemon juice and beat for a further 1 minute or until smooth. Run a small knife around the edge of the cake and remove from the tin. Spread with the icing to serve. Serves 8–10.
donna hay team
Hi Lisa, we have not tested this recipe in mini versions, so it’s a little tricky to tell how many it would make and how long to cook them for. We suggest you try making them in a muffin tin lined with paper cases. – The DH Team.
To make this as mini cupcake size how would I need to vary time and temperature?
This is DELICIOUS and we have been looking for a good gluten-free carrot cake recipe for a long time. We substituted raisins for currants because that is what we had on hand, and it was perfect!