- 125g butter, softened
- 1 cup (175g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mashed banana
- 1¾ cups (255g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of (baking) soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup (115g) golden syrup
- butter, extra, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer and beat for 8–10 minutes or until pale and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Gradually add the eggs and beat well to combine. Add the banana, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and golden syrup and stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into a 26cm x 11cm (2.5 litre-capacity) lightly greased loaf tin lined with baking paper. Bake for 60–65 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool in the tin for 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve with the extra butter. Serves 6–8.
Baked this banana bread without a mixer (good work-out!), replacing the brown sugar with raw sugar and the golden syrup with honey (all I had in the cupboard) and without any measuring cups and it turned out AMAZING! Would definitely recommend this recipe.
This is so yummy! I often add in half a cup of white choc chips but its still so good without it. My family gobbles this up. I’ve also substituted g/f flour and it worked well too.
I’ve been in the hunt for a good banana bread recipe for years and I have finally found it!! This is amazing! I didn’t add the golden syrup as I didn’t have any. It still turned out incredible. So happy!
The easiest banana bread to make and the best taste ever.
This was by far the best I have made. It was light, not gluggy like other recipes. Not even my picky husband could find fault. The only problem was that it all went in one sitting!
Really enjoyed this banana bread. I added 4 teaspoons cocoa and around 3/4 cup walnuts based on suggestions in the comments - delicious! Note the size of the loaf tin required, as my loaf tin turned out to be too small.
The most delicious banana bread. I have made it many times with the golden syrup, but it is also delicious without it, texture is still good, but just not quite as sweet.
Yes definitely the best banana bread recipe. The aroma cooking, the taste. OMG
How much cocoa and ginger did you add alanna
Delicious!! The aroma of the house after baking this recipe makes my mouth water!! I added a little ground ginger and some cocoa just to enhance the delicious flavours
donna hay team
Hi Kate, you will need around 5 bananas to make 2 cups of mashed banana. Happy baking! the dh team
A total hit with the family ! Definately staying on our menu of favorites
Hi can anyone tell me roughly how many bananas I need for 2 cups of mashed? Thanks
This is my go to Banana Bread. It is the best. The only thing I do different, I also add a handful of rough chopped walnuts.
donna hay team
Hi Patti, In the US, we recommend using dark corn syrup instead of golden syrup. Happy baking! The DH Team
I am anxious to try your recipe. I live in the US. What is golden syrup? Thank you
My favourite banana bread recipe and I’ve tried a few. So adaptable and a simple single bowl mix. Soo good!
Yum! Easily adaptable recipe and turns out so well. I added extra banana and reduced the sugar and maple syrup. Turned out beautifully. A keeper!
Hi everyone, listen up. You think the banana bread you are making using a different recipe is the best, right? WRONG!!I am telling you right here and now, this is a sign for you to make this banana bread. It will CHANGE YOUR LIFE. This is the best banana bread I ever made. This is also the only banana bread I have ever made. This will continue to be the only banana bread I ever make. It is so soft and delicious, I eat half of it right as it comes out of the oven. I sacrifice my mouth, burning it just to taste its splendour. Life hack: put ricotta and honey as a topping, 10/10. I love you Donna Hay.
Love this one. Very easy to make. We used treacle instead of golden syrup and we go heavy on the cinnamon and a touch of ground ginger coz we love them