chicken and leek pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 x 150g chicken thigh fillets, chopped
- 40g butter
- 2 small leeks, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- ¼ cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 x quantities shortcrust parmesan pastry (see below)
- 1 x quantity eggwash (see below)
shortcrust parmesan pastry
- 2 cups (300g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan
- 150g cold butter, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons single (pouring) cream
- To make the eggwash, place the egg and cream in a bowl and mix to combine.
- To make the shortcrust parmesan pastry, place the flour, cheese, butter and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process for 1–2 minutes or until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and milk and process for 2 minutes or until a smooth dough forms. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, in batches, for 4–5 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan, set aside and keep warm.
- Add the butter, leeks, garlic and thyme to the pan and cook for 7–8 minutes or until softened. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the milk, salt and pepper and cook for a further 3 minutes or until thickened. Return the chicken to the sauce and refrigerate until cooled completely.
- Roll half the pastry out between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper to 3mm-thick. Line a 31cm-round lightly greased pie tin with the pastry. Fill with the chicken mixture. Roll the remaining pastry out between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper to 3mm-thick. Place on top of the pie and trim the excess pastry. Brush with the eggwash and bake for 35–40 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Serves 4.
There are no comments for this entry yet.