lavender and honey madeleines
- ½ cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- ½ teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- ⅓ cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon edible dried lavender+
- 2 eggs
- 80g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- ½ cup (110g) white (granulated) sugar
- 2 teaspoons edible dried lavender+
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). To make the lavender sugar, place the sugar and lavender in a medium bowl and rub with your fingertips to combine. Set aside.
- Lightly grease 12 x 1½-tablespoon-capacity madeleine tins++. Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, lavender, eggs, butter, honey and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Spoon the mixture into the tins and bake for 8–10 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Remove the madeleines from the tins and, while still warm, add them to the lavender sugar and gently toss to coat. Place onto wire racks to cool before serving. Makes 12
+ Edible dried lavender (pesticide-free) is available at health food stores, specialty grocers and tea shops.
++ You can find madeleine tins at kitchen supply stores and online.
Delicious and super easy. The recipe is easily converted to Vegan as well.