soft vanilla sponge cake
- 12 eggwhites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar, extra
- icing (confectioner’s) sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the eggwhites and cream of tartar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the caster sugar and vanilla and whisk until thick and glossy.
- Sift the flour and extra caster sugar into a medium bowl. Sift for a second time over the eggwhite mixture and gently fold to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into an ungreased 2.5-litre-capacity Bundt tin and smooth the top. Bake for 35 minutes or until the cake comes away from the sides of the tin. Invert the tin and set aside for 1 hour or until cooled completely.
- Using a butter knife, loosen the edges of the cake from the tin and turn out onto a cake stand or serving plate. Dust with icing sugar to serve. Serves 10
There are no comments for this entry yet.