crispy chicken kale wraps
with cashew and avocado spread
- ½ cup (20g) puffed amaranth+
- 1 tablespoon black chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 600g chicken breast fillets, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 kale leaves, trimmed
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced into ribbons
- 1 cup snow pea (mange tout) sprouts
cashew and avocado spread
- ½ cup (75g) cashews, toasted
- 1 avocado, flesh scooped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the amaranth, chia seeds, sumac, chilli, salt and pepper in a large bowl and stir to combine. Press the chicken into the amaranth mixture and place on an oven tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Drizzle with the oil and cook, turning halfway, for 15–20 minutes or until crispy and cooked through. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the cashew and avocado spread. Place the cashews, avocado, garlic, lemon juice, basil, salt and pepper in a small food processor and process until almost smooth. Set aside.
- Place the kale leaves in a large heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and allow to stand for 1 minute. Drain and place in a bowl of iced water to refresh. Pat dry with a clean tea towel.
- To serve, top each kale leaf with 1 tablespoon of the cashew and avocado spread. Divide the chicken, cucumber and snow pea sprouts between the leaves, sprinkle with pepper and roll to enclose. Makes 8.
+ Puffed amaranth is a naturally gluten-free puffed seed, high in protein and a source of key vitamins and minerals. It has a mild toasted flavour and is available from the health food aisle of supermarkets and health food stores.
There are no comments for this entry yet.