sesame and miso chicken salad
- 2 eggwhites
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 cup (160g) sesame seeds
- 4 x 180g chicken breast fillets, trimmed and cut into thirds
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 5 cups (400g) finely shredded wombok (Chinese cabbage)
- 1 cup (16g) coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers, sliced into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 2 green onions (scallions), thinly sliced
honey miso dressing
- ⅓ cup (120g) honey
- ⅓ cup (80ml) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste, extra
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Preheat oven grill (broiler) to high.
- Whisk the eggwhites and miso together to combine. Place the sesame seeds in a shallow bowl.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the miso eggwhites, then press both sides in the sesame seeds to coat.
- Place on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and drizzle with oil. Grill for 4–5 minutes each side or until golden.
- While the chicken is grilling, make the honey miso dressing. Combine the honey, soy sauce, extra miso and sesame oil.
- Place the wombok, coriander, cucumber, green onion and the honey miso dressing in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Divide the salad between serving bowls and top with the sesame and miso chicken. Serves 4
I like to adopt a freestyle approach to the herbs in this salad, depending on what I have growing or at home at the time.
Photography: Chris Court
Made this tonight- perfect for a warm midweek dinner. The salad dressing is perfect to dunk the tasty chicken in. Look for miso paste where all the Japanese sauces and condiments are located in your supermarket.