chicken, zucchini and kale pot pies
- 1½ cups (190g) shredded cooked chicken
- 1 x 120g zucchini (courgette), grated
- ½ cup (20g) finely chopped kale leaves, stems removed
- ½ cup (125ml) single (pouring) cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup (40g) finely grated parmesan
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 sheets store-bought shortcrust pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the chicken, zucchini, kale, cream, mustard, parmesan, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Divide the mixture between 4 x 1¼-cup-capacity (310ml) ramekins and brush the edges with egg. Cut 4 rounds of pastry using the ramekin as a guide.
- Using a 1cm-round pastry nozzle cut a small hole from each circle. Top the ramekins with the pastry and press to seal. Place the ramekins on a baking tray, brush the tops of the pastry with egg and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serves 4
Photography: William Meppem
This was so much better than I was anticipating. It really was delicious. Since it’s main ingredients were zucchini and kale, I wasn’t expecting how delicious it was. It’s just that these were in my refrigerator and I wanted to use them and I was already planning to make chicken pot pie so I googled chicken pot pie with zucchini and kale and this recipe came up. Wow, what a great find. I had all the ingredients already so I whipped it up pretty much according to the recipe and it was good. I don’t really know how I ended up having fresh zucchini and kale in my fridge cuz I’m not a big fan of either but this recipe has shown me can be used to make delicious food. Of course, chicken, Parmesan and cream helped a bit.