chickpea pasta with cheat’s broccoli pesto
- 250g Barilla chickpea pasta
- 400g broccoli (about 2 small heads)
- ¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- ½ cup (80g) natural almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks kale (100g), stems removed and leaves shredded
- ¼ cup finely chopped mint leaves
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- finely grated parmesan, to serve
- lemon cheeks, to serve
- mint leaves, extra, to serve
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 7–9 minutes or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, coarsely grate the broccoli tops, with a little of the stem, using a box grater. You’ll need about 2½ cups grated broccoli.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, lemon rind, garlic and almonds and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the grated broccoli and cook, stirring, for a further 4 minutes or until the broccoli is just soft. Add the kale, mint, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add the pasta and toss to coat.
- Divide between serving bowls and sprinkle with parmesan. Serve with lemon and extra mint. Serves 3
Photography: William Meppem
I saw this recipe and instantly made it with gluten /wheat free pasta and used cahews in place of almonds also spinach in place of kale…just using what I had. It was unbelievably good & was demolished in one hit. Thank you its now one of our fav brunch meals