couscous, walnut and mint salad
- 1 cup (200g) wholemeal couscous+
- 1½ cups (375ml) boiling water
- 400g can chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup (25g) roasted walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 zucchini (courgettes), finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- ½ cup (140g) labne (yoghurt cheese)
- ½ cup (90g) store-bought sauerkraut
- Place the couscous and boiling water in a heatproof bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 10 minutes or until water has been absorbed.
- Place the chickpeas, walnut, mint, spinach, zucchini, lemon juice, zest, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl, and toss to combine.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and divide between bowls or lunch containers. Top with the salad, labne and sauerkraut. Sprinkle with pepper to serve. Serves 2
+ Wholemeal couscous is high in fibre and a good source of protein. Find it in supermarkets and at health food stores.
Photography: William Meppem
There are no comments for this entry yet.