crispy sesame-crusted tofu
- 800g firm tofu, thickly sliced
- 1 cup (100g) panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
- ½ cup (75g) sesame seeds
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 eggwhites
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- steamed broccolini and kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), to serve
roasted chilli salt
- 2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- To make the roasted chilli salt, place the chilli and Sichuan pepper in a small frying pan over medium heat. Cook for 1–2 minutes or until fragrant, transfer to a small food processer or a mortar and grind until well combined. Set aside.
- Cut the tofu into 8 pieces and dry well on absorbent paper. Combine the breadcrumbs, sesame and a generous amount of salt and pepper and place in a shallow bowl. Place the eggwhite in a separate shallow bowl. Dip the tofu into the eggwhite and roll in the crumb mixture to coat. Heat 2–3cm of the oil in a large deep frying pan until it reaches 180°C (355°F) on a kitchen thermometer. Cook the tofu, in batches, for 2–3 minutes each side or until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Divide the broccolini between plates, drizzle with the soy and top with the tofu. Sprinkle with the chilli salt to serve. Serves 4
There are no comments for this entry yet.