pumpkin tofu burgers
with herb mayonnaise
- 380g firm tofu
- 2 cups (300g) firmly packed grated pumpkin
- ⅔ cup (180g) hulled tahini
- ¼ cup (13g) chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 4 burger buns, halved
- 1 cup (150g) firmly packed grated beetroot
- 1 cup (150g) firmly packed grated carrot
- ½ cup (150g) caramelised onion relish
- 8 butter lettuce leaves
- pickles, to serve
- ¾ cup (225g) whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon finely grated garlic
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F)
- Place the tofu between absorbent kitchen paper and press firmly to release any excess moisture.
- Using your fingertips, crumble the tofu into small pieces into a bowl. Add the pumpkin, tahini, parsley, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Heat a large ovenproof non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Divide the pumpkin and tofu mixture into 4 large flat patties. Add the oil and cook the patties for 8 minutes each side or until golden and crisp. Transfer pan to the oven and bake the patties for 15 minutes.
- To make the herb mayonnaise, mix the mayonnaise, basil and garlic in a bowl to combine.
- Spread each bun base with herb mayonnaise and divide the beetroot, carrot, caramelised onion, lettuce, and pumpkin tofu patties between bun bases. Sandwich with the bun tops and serve with pickles. Serves 4
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.