rainbow chard, fennel and cheese tart
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into rounds
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 large fennel (300g), trimmed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (60ml) white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white (granulated) sugar
- 150g rainbow chard, stalks removed, chopped
- 250g stracchino cheese, torn
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (300g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 150g cold butter, chopped
- 1 cup (120g) grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- To make the cheese pastry, place the flour, salt, butter and cheddar in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and process until the pastry comes together. Roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper to a 30cm x 40cm rectangle. Prick the pastry with a fork and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F). Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat, add the onion and salt and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the fennel and cook for 2 minutes. Add the vinegar and sugar and cook for 2 minutes or until reduced and golden. Place in a bowl and set aside. Increase heat to high, add the rainbow chard and cook for 30 seconds or until wilted.
- Top the cheese pastry with the fennel mixture, rainbow chard and stracchino, leaving a 4cm border. Fold the pastry edges over the filling and brush with egg. Place on an oven tray and cook for 15–20 minutes or until golden and the pastry is cooked. Serve sprinkled with pepper. Serves 6
There are no comments for this entry yet.