maple caramel hazelnut slice
- 1½ cups (135g) rolled oats
- 1½ cups (120g) desiccated coconut
- 1 cup (120g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 15 fresh dates (225g), pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50g unsalted butter, chopped and melted
- 2 cups (280g) hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- ½ cup (85g) rapadura sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup (250ml) maple syrup
- 50g butter, chopped
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Place the oats, coconut, almond meal, dates, vanilla and butter in a food processor and process for 3–4 minutes or until the mixture comes together.
- Press into a lightly greased 20cm x 30cm slice tin lined with non-stick baking paper, smoothing the top with a spoon. Cook for 25 minutes or until firm. Set aside to cool slightly.
- To make the maple caramel, place the sugar, vanilla and maple syrup in a medium saucepan over high heat. Cook for 8 minutes or until the temperature reaches 120°C (250°F) on a sugar thermometer. Add the butter and stir quickly to combine. Pour evenly over the base and top with the hazelnuts. Refrigerate for 1 hour to set. Slice and serve. Makes 20.
Note: You can refrigerate this slice in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
Made this slice for work colleagues and everyone raved about it; it was absolutely delicious. Will certainly be making this slice again, again and again.