mexican chilli beans
- ½ cup (100g) dried borlotti beans, soaked overnight
- 1 cup (200g) dried black beans, soaked overnight
- ½ cup (100g) dried black-eyed beans, soaked overnight
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup (160g) chipotle chillies in adobo
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups (750ml) water
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- natural Greek-style (thick) yoghurt and coriander leaves, to serve
- toasted corn tortillas and lime wedges, to serve
- Drain and rinse the beans. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3–4 minutes or until softened. Add the chillies in adobo, tomatoes, water, beans, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.
- Cover with a lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 30–35 minutes or until the beans are tender. Top the beans with yoghurt, coriander and pepper, and serve with tortillas and lime wedges. Serves 6
TIPS AND TRICKS:
+ If you don’t have time to soak beans overnight, place the borlotti beans, black beans and black-eyed beans in a large saucepan. Cover with water and place over high heat until the water comes to the boil. Remove from the heat, cover with a lid, and set aside for 1 hour to soak. Drain and rinse under cold water.
There are no comments for this entry yet.