olive oil madeira cake
- ¾ cup (180ml) Cobram Estate extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- ¼ cup (60ml) orange juice
- 1 cup (280g) natural Greek-style (thick) yoghurt
- 1½ cups (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising (self-rising) flour
- dried store-bought orange slices, to serve
- 1 cup (160g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Place the oil, eggs, rind, juice, yoghurt and sugar in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Sift over the flour and stir until smooth.
- Pour into a lightly greased 10cm x 20cm loaf tin lined with non-stick baking paper and cook for 1 hour or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool in the tin, then remove and place on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, place the sugar and boiling water in a small bowl and mix to combine. Spoon over the icing while the cake is still warm and set aside for 10 minutes to set. Top with the orange slices to serve. Serves 10–12
This is the easiest cake to bake and is so delicious. I make it regularly and it always works. Absolutely love it.