chicken and pork larb
- ¼ cup (50g) long white rice
- ¼ cup (60ml) rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 carrots, finely shredded
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- steamed rice, Thai basil leaves, coriander leaves, to serve
- 500g chicken mince
- 500g pork mince
- 4 thai lime leaves, stems removed
and thinly sliced
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander root
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 lemongrass stalk, bruised
- ½ cup (125ml) chicken stock
- Place the rice in a small frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 12–15 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool. Place in a mortar and pound with a pestle until finely crushed. Set aside.
- To make the chicken and pork larb, place the chicken, pork, lime leaves, chilli, ginger, coriander, garlic, lime juice, fish sauce and sugar in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan or wok over high heat. Add the mince mixture and lemongrass and cook for 20–22 minutes or until browned. Discard the lemongrass and stir through the stock and 1 tablespoon of the crushed, toasted rice. Keep warm. Place the vinegar and sugar in a large bowl and whisk until the sugar has dissolved. Add the carrot and onion and toss to combine.
- Serve the larb with the remaining toasted rice, carrot salad, steamed rice, basil and coriander. Serves 4.
There are no comments for this entry yet.