rhubarb and almond hand pies
- 200g rhubarb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 sheets frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- ¼ cup (30g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup (20g) flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the rhubarb and sugar in a medium bowl and mix well to combine.
- Cut each pastry sheet into 4 x 10cm squares. Place 4 of the squares on the tray and spread with the almond meal, leaving a 1cm border. Top with the rhubarb mixture and the remaining pastry, pressing the edges to seal. Brush the pies with egg, sprinkle with the almonds and bake for 15 minutes or until puffed and golden. Slice to serve. Makes 4
Photography: Anson Smart
There are no comments for this entry yet.