salted dark chocolate layer cake
with milk chocolate ganache
- 2½ cups (375g) self-raising (self-rising) flour, sifted
- ½ cup (50g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1½ cups (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups (375ml) milk
- 250g unsalted butter, melted
- 200g dark chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons black sea salt flakes
quick milk chocolate ganache
- 1 cup (240g) sour cream
- 400g milk chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line 2 x 20cm round cake tins with non-stick baking paper. Place the flour, cocoa, sugar, eggs, milk, butter, chocolate and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 40–45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- To make the quick milk chocolate ganache, place the sour cream and chocolate in a large bowl. Mix to combine and refrigerate for 10 minutes or until firm.
- Place 1 of the cakes on a cake stand or plate. Spread with half the ganache. Top with the remaining cake and ganache. Sprinkle with the salt to serve. Serves 8–10
Hi Donna, would I be able to use a single 20 cm cake tin while baking and then cut the cake in the middle to create 2 smaller cakes?