simple passionfruit souffles
- melted butter, for greasing
- caster (superfine) sugar, for dusting
- 150ml passionfruit pulp +
- ¼ cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 3 teaspoons water
- 5 eggwhites
- ⅓ cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar, extra
- ⅓ cup (80ml) passionfruit pulp +
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F). Brush 4 x 1 cup-capacity (250ml) ramekins with the butter, dust with the sugar and place on a baking tray.
- Place the passionfruit, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Increase the heat and bring to the boil.
- Combine the cornflour and water and mix to a smooth paste. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in cornflour paste. Return the pan to the heat and cook, whisking continuously, for 1 minute.
- Pour the passionfruit mixture into a large bowl and refrigerate until cold.
- Place the eggwhites in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until soft peaks form. Add the extra sugar in a thin stream and beat until glossy. Gently fold the eggwhite mixture through the passionfruit mixture, spoon into the ramekins and bake for 12–15 minutes or until risen and golden.
- To make the passionfruit syrup, place the passionfruit pulp and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bubbling. Drizzle over the souffles and serve immediately. Serves 4
+ You will need about 7 passionfruit for 150ml pulp or you can buy canned passionfruit pulp from supermarkets.
++ You will need about 4 passionfruit to make ⅓ cup (80ml) pulp.
Fabulous dead easy