- 2.5kg vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups (440g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) malt vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Place the tomato, sugar, vinegar, mustard powder, garlic and salt in a large saucepan and mix to combine. Set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Place the saucepan over high heat, bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally and skimming any foam from the surface, until the mixture is thickened and jammy in consistency. Carefully pour into sterilised jars. Makes 2 cups.
To sterilise glass jars, preheat oven to 120°C (250°F). Wash the jars and their (metal) lids in soapy water, rinse and place on a baking tray. Place in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove and allow to cool before filling.
This jam is delicious on hamburgers and hot dogs, or as a condiment on a cheeseboard. It will keep in a cool, dark place for up to two months. Once opened, store in the refrigerator.
Photography: Ben Dearnley
There are no comments for this entry yet.