zucchini and bacon slice
- 4 cups (740g) grated zucchini (about 4 zucchinis)
- 6 eggs
- 1½ cups (360g) fresh firm ricotta
- ½ cup (40g) finely grated parmesan
- ⅓ cup (16g) chopped chives (about 1 bunch)
- sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup (150g) white spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 thin rashers streaky bacon (150g), rind removed
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (for brushing onto the bacon)
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with non-stick baking paper, leaving 4cm of paper overhanging on the long sides (this will help you later).
- Using absorbent kitchen paper or a clean tea towel, squeeze the liquid from the zucchini. Crack the eggs into a big bowl and add the zucchini, ricotta, parmesan, chives, salt and pepper and mix well with a spatula. Sift the flour and baking powder over the top, using a sifter or sieve, and mix until really well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the top. Top with the bacon and bake for 30 minutes. Wearing oven gloves, remove the slice from the oven. Brush the maple syrup over the bacon using a pastry brush. Bake for 5 more minutes or until crispy and cooked through. Wearing oven gloves once more, remove the slice from the oven. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then use the baking paper to help you lift the slice out onto a board. Cut into squares and serve warm, or refrigerate and serve cold. Serves 8-10
Photography: Con Poulos
There are no comments for this entry yet.