banana and coconut
- 180g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup (260g) mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1½ cups (225g) self-raising (self-rising) flour
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (500ml) single (pouring) cream, whipped
- ½ cup (25g) coconut flakes, toasted
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Lightly grease a 22cm round springform tin. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 6–8 minutes or until pale and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the banana and flour and beat on low speed until just combined. Spoon the mixture into the tin. Bake for 45–50 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow the cake to cool completely in the tin.
- Use the skewer to make holes all over the cake, pushing it three-quarters of the way to the base. Place the coconut milk, milk and sweetened condensed milk in a large jug and whisk well to combine. Place the cake tin on a tray to catch any spills and gradually pour the milk mixture over the cake. Refrigerate for 2–3 hours or until the milk mixture has been absorbed.
- Top the cake with the cream and sprinkle with the coconut flakes. Slice to serve. Serves 8
Photography: Chris Court
donna hay team
Hi Siri, the condensed milk does need to be sweetened. The DH Team.
The condensed milk doesn’t have to be sweetened, or does it?
I Loved this cake. It was moist and delicious. A perfect dessert.
Accidentally rated this 3 star, meant to go 5.! ( fat fingers) Loved this cake. It looked beautiful, dinner guests loved it. Added some milk choc chips that dropped to the bottom and mixed nicely with the condensed milk. A new favourite
I was so looking forward to making this cake (and eating it) but have to say was so disappointed. The milk mixture tasted heavenly but did not seem to impart any of its flavour or creaminess to the cake? Also cake was very dense and heavy. It ended up being a very ordinary banana cake. Such a shame.