- 450ml (15 fl oz) egg white (about 12 eggs)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup (165g/6 oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (150g/5¼ oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ½ cup (110g/4 oz) caster (superfine) sugar, extra
- 2 cups (250g/9 oz) fresh raspberries, torn
- ⅓ cup (80ml/2¾ oz) water
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups (440g/15½ oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 150ml (5 fl oz) egg white (about 4 eggs), at room temperature
- Preheat an oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and vanilla, whisking until thick and glossy.
- Sift the flour and the extra sugar into a bowl. Sift for a second time, then sift for the third time over the egg-white mixture. Using a metal spoon, gently fold to combine. Spoon into an ungreased 21cm (8 inch) base measure round angel food cake tin and smooth the top. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake comes away from the sides of the tin. Invert the tin onto its feet and set aside for 1 hour to cool.
- Using a smooth palette knife, gently loosen the side of the cake and twist the middle funnel to lift the cake from the tin. Using a large serrated knife, slice the cake horizontally into 3 even layers.
- To make the Italian meringue, place the water, cream of tartar and 1 cup (220g/7¾ oz) of the sugar in a small saucepan over high heat. Cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 4 minutes. Place the egg white in the clean bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. With the motor running, gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking for 30 seconds before adding more. Gradually add the hot sugar syrup in a thin steady stream and whisk for a further 4 minutes or until thick, glossy and cooled. Place one-third of the Italian meringue into a separate bowl and stir through the raspberries.
- To assemble, place 1 layer of cake on a cake stand or plate, top with half the raspberry Italian meringue mixture. Repeat using the remaining cake and raspberry Italian meringue mixture, finish with cake. Using a palette knife, spread the remaining Italian meringue over the cake. Serves 10–12
+ Store the cake in an airtight container for up to 24 hours.
Photography: Anson Smart
There are no comments for this entry yet.