vanilla bean baked custard
- 2 cups (500ml) single (pouring) cream
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- freshly grated nutmeg, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Place the cream, milk and vanilla bean and seeds in a medium saucepan over high heat and cook until the mixture just comes to the boil. Remove from the heat and set aside. Place the eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl and whisk until combined.
- Gradually add the hot cream to the egg mixture, whisking until combined. Strain the custard, discard the vanilla bean, and pour into a 2.25L-capacity ovenproof dish.
- Place the dish in a water bath+ and cook for 25–30 minutes, or until golden and has a gentle wobble in the centre. Carefully remove from the water bath and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with nutmeg to serve. Serves 4–6
+ Make a water bath by placing your dish or ramekins in a baking dish lined with folded tea towel and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the dish.
There are no comments for this entry yet.