spiced pecan caramels
- 1¼ cups (310ml) double thick cream
- 2½ cups (550g) white (granulated) sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (350g) golden syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 20 pecans
- Line a lightly greased 20cm square tin with non-stick baking paper. Place the cream, sugar, butter, vanilla and golden syrup in a large saucepan over high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to the boil. Reduce heat to medium, insert a sugar (candy) thermometer, and cook, without stirring, for about 9–15 minutes or until the temperature reaches 124°C (255°F)
- Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the cloves and nutmeg and mix to combine. Carefully pour the hot caramel into the prepared tin.
- Set aside to cool, at room temperature, for 20 minutes.
- Top with the pecans and set aside to cool for 8 hours or overnight, or until firm. Slice to serve. Makes 20
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.