salted dark chocolate layer cake
with milk chocolate ganache
- 2½ cups (375g) self-raising (self-rising) flour, sifted
- ½ cup (50g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1½ cups (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups (375ml) milk
- 250g unsalted butter, melted
- 200g dark chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons black sea salt flakes
quick milk chocolate ganache
- 1 cup (240g) sour cream
- 400g milk chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line 2 x 20cm round cake tins with non-stick baking paper. Place the flour, cocoa, sugar, eggs, milk, butter, chocolate and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 40–45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- To make the quick milk chocolate ganache, place the sour cream and chocolate in a large bowl. Mix to combine and refrigerate for 10 minutes or until firm.
- Place 1 of the cakes on a cake stand or plate. Spread with half the ganache. Top with the remaining cake and ganache. Sprinkle with the salt to serve. Serves 8–10
donna hay team
Hi Stephanie, all of our recipes are tested for a fan-forced oven. Each oven is different so it is best to keep an eye on your cakes when baking. If you find your cake was too cooked, you may need to reduce the cooking time by 5-10 minutes. Hope this helps!
Hi Donna, is the temperature for a fan forced oven because with a fan forced oven, the cake was visibly burnt.
Hi Donna, would I be able to use a single 20 cm cake tin while baking and then cut the cake in the middle to create 2 smaller cakes?