tempura squid with shichimi togarashi salt
- 1 cup (150g) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising (self-rising) flour
- 1¼ cups (310ml) cold soda water
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 800g baby squid, cleaned and cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 teaspoon shichimi togarashi or ichimi togarashi
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- lime wedges, to serve
- Place the cornflour and half the self-raising flour in a large bowl. Gradually add the soda water and whisk to combine. Place the remaining flour in a small bowl.
- Fill a large, deep saucepan half-full with oil and place over medium heat until the temperature reaches 180°C (350°F) on a deep-frying thermometer. Working in batches, dust the squid with the flour, then dip into the batter and carefully lower into the oil. Cook for 3 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Place the shichimi togarashi and salt in a bowl and mix to combine. Serve the squid with the salt mixture and lime wedges. Serves 4
There are no comments for this entry yet.