- 225ml eggwhite+ (approximately 6 eggs), at room temperature
- 1½ cups (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1½ teaspoons white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F). Place the eggwhite in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking for 30 seconds before adding more. Once all the sugar has been added, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and whisk for a further 6 minutes or until the mixture is stiff and glossy++.
- Add the vinegar and whisk for 2 minutes or until glossy and combined. Spoon the meringue onto a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper, shaping it into a rough 22cm round+++.
- Place in the oven, reduce the temperature to 120°C (250°F) and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes. Turn the oven off and allow the meringue to cool, with the door closed, for 1 hour. Serves 6.
+ Egg sizes vary, so do make sure you measure the eggwhite.
++ When the mixture is stiff and glossy, the sugar should be completely dissolved. Rub a little of the mixture between your thumb and forefinger to test – if it feels gritty, continue to whisk.
+++ If you like, pencil a guide on the underside of the baking paper
There are no comments for this entry yet.