and mozzarella hand pies
- 1 large sebago (starchy) potato (300g), peeled and chopped
- 2 large parsnips (300g), peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 150g speck, rind removed and chopped
- 50g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced into rounds
- 1 bunch (200g) cavolo nero, stalks removed and leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- 150g mozzarella, chopped
- 2 x 375g sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- cracked black pepper, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Place the potato and parsnip in a large saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well, crush with a fork and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the speck and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the butter and leek to the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the cavolo nero and cook, tossing, until wilted. Return the speck to the pan. Add the mixture to the parsnip mash with the mustard and milk and mix to combine. Add the mozzarella and mix until just combined.
- Cut 4 x 18cm rounds from the pastry. Divide the filling between the rounds, leaving a 2cm border. Brush the edges with egg and fold the pastry over to enclose, pressing to seal. Brush the pies with egg. Make 3 incisions in each pie. Place on an oven tray lined with non-stick baking paper and cook for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden. Sprinkle with pepper to serve. Makes 4
There are no comments for this entry yet.