raspberry cream cheese muffins
- 2½ cups (350g) wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (160g) CSR Rapadura Sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup (160ml) light-flavoured extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups (240g) frozen raspberries
- 2 tablespoons CSR Demerara Sugar, for sprinkling
cream cheese filling
- 125g cream cheese, softened and chopped
- 1½ tablespoons CSR Caster Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 12 x ½ cup (125ml) capacity muffin tin with paper cases. To make the cream cheese filling, place the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the flours, baking powder and rapadura sugar in a bowl and mix to combine. Place the eggs, milk, vanilla and oil in a separate bowl and mix until combined. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold through the raspberries.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin so each hole is about one-third full. Add a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture to each hole and top with remaining muffin mixture.
- Sprinkle each with demerara sugar and bake for 25–30 minutes or until firm to touch. Serve. Makes 12
Tips + Tricks:
These muffins get their lovely golden colour and delicate caramel flavour from unrefined rapadura sugar, while the use of Demerara sugar creates a subtly butterscotch infused crunchy top that works perfectly with the moreish cream cheese filling.
Photography: William Meppem
donna hay team
Hi Melanie, CSR is a sugar brand here in Australia. In the UK, you can use regular demerara sugar and caster sugar, and use coconut sugar to replace the rapadura sugar. Hope this helps! Happy baking! the dh team
What happens when we can’t but that sugar in the UK?
We don’t have CSR here so what’s the alternative?
Thanks a million. I need to make these so please let me know?