zucchini, ricotta, pistachio and chia cake
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup (90g) rapadura sugar or brown sugar
- 3 small zucchini (courgette) (300g)
- 1 cup (150g) buckwheat flour
- 1 cup (120g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 250g ricotta
- ¼ cup (60ml) grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons white chia seeds
- 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup (45g) pistachios, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup (90g) honey
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk for 8 minutes or until light, fluffy and tripled in size.
- Grate the zucchini (you should have 1⅔ cups). Place the zucchini, flour, almond meal, ricotta, oil, orange rind, chia, vanilla and baking powder in a large bowl and stir to combine. Gently fold in the egg mixture in 2 batches.
- Pour into a lightly greased 26cm x 8cm loaf tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Cook for 60–65 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Set aside to cool in the tin.
- Top with the pistachios and drizzle with honey toserve. Serves 6–8.
A lovely moist cake although a very odd taste that was not particularly enjoyable. I did swap orange for mandarin zest however I don’t think this would have made a great difference to flavor.