buckwheat and quinoa blueberry muffins
- ½ cup (50g) quinoa flakes, plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- 1 cup (140g) wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 cup (160g) buckwheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup (55g) raw or rapadura sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup (180ml) vegetable, nut or coconut oil
- ¾ cup (180ml) maple syrup
- 2 cups (300g) fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line 12 x ½-cup-capacity (125ml) muffin tins with paper cases and set aside.
- Place the quinoa flakes and milk in a large bowl, mix to combine and allow to soak for 20 minutes. Add both the flours, the baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, egg, oil and maple syrup and mix to combine. Add the blueberries and fold to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases and sprinkle with extra quinoa flakes and sugar. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until just cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store muffins in an airtight container for up to 3 days or wrap individually and freeze for up to 2 months. Makes 12
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.