broccolini, basil and kimchi pancakes
- 1 cup (180g) rice flour
- 1¼ cups (200g) wholemeal (whole-wheat) flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes, plus extra to serve
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1½ cups (375ml) water
- 1 egg
- 2 green onions (scallions), thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
- 1½ cups (300g) kimchi, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup Thai basil leaves, finely chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- 1 bunch broccolini, tops reserved, stems finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- To make the dipping sauce, place the tamari, sesame oil, mirin and vinegar in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place the flours, salt and pepper in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Place the water and egg in a separate bowl and whisk to combine.
- Gradually whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture until a smooth batter forms. Add the onion, kimchi, basil and broccolini stems and stir to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Place 3 separate spoonfuls of broccolini tops in the frying pan and top each with 1⁄3 cup of the batter. Cook for 2 minutes each side or until golden and crisp.
- Repeat 3 more times with the remaining oil, broccolini tops and batter to make 12 pancakes.
- Top the pancakes with the dipping sauce, extra onion and extra basil, and sprinkle with salt to serve. Makes 12
There are no comments for this entry yet.