almond and pear tarts
- 4 sheets frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 2 x 220g firm green pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced on a mandolin
- ⅓ cup (80ml) maple syrup, plus extra to serve
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- ⅔ cup (80g) almond meal
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- Preheat oven to 200°C. To make the frangipane, place the butter, sugar and vanilla in a small food processor and process for 1–2 minutesor until pale and creamy.
- Add the egg yolk, almond meal and flour. Process to combine. Press 2 pastry sheets together to make 1 thick sheet. Repeat with remaining sheets.
- Using an 11cm round pastry cutter, cut 6 rounds from the pastry. Place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Gently score each round using a 10cm round pastry cutter.
- Spread 1½ tablespoons of the frangipane evenly onto each round and top with the pear, overlapping slightly. Brush with maple syrup and cook for 15 minutes.
- Brush with maple syrup and cook for a further 5–10 minutes or until puffed and golden. Allow to cool slightly and top with maple syrup to serve. Makes 6.
Hi, I haven’t made this yet as I’m a bit unsure of what you mean by ‘gently score using a pastry cutter’ after the pastry has been placed on the parchment paper. Thanks for your help…I hope.