almond syrup cake
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (150g) self raising (self-rising)
- 1 cup (120g) almond meal (ground almonds), sifted
- 75g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons amaretto (almond liqueur)
- ½ cup (40g) flaked almonds
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- ¼ cup (60ml) amaretto (almond liqueur)
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Line the base and sides of a lightly greased 24cm springform cake tin with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
- Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk for 12–15 minutes or until pale and tripled in volume. Add the flour, almond meal, butter, lemon rind and liqueur and gently fold to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and spread evenly. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and bake for 30–35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool completely in the tin.
- While the cake is cooling, make the amaretto syrup. Place the water, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, and liqueur, in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir to combine.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 10–12 minutes or until reduced. Allow the amaretto syrup to cool slightly and discard the vanilla bean.
- Remove the cake from the tin and pour over the syrup to serve. Serves 6–8.
There are no comments for this entry yet.