baked rice pudding
- ½ cup arborio rice
- 1 litre milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 2 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar
- 4 pieces lemon peel
- 20g buttter, chopped
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine)
- sugar, extra
- double (thick) cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (320ºF). Place the rice in the base of a 7 cup-capacity (1.75 litre) shallow ovenproof dish. Combine the milk, vanilla bean and seeds, sugar and lemon peel, pour over the rice and stir to combine. Cover with aluminium foil and place on a baking tray.
- Bake for 1 hour, remove the foil and stir. Bake, uncovered, for a further 30 minutes.
- Top with the butter, sprinkle with the extra sugar and bake for 10–15 minutes or until the top is golden. Serve with the cream. Serves 6.
donna hay team
Hi BN, we use a fan forced oven setting when baking to allow an even cooking temperature. Also, the dish we cook the rice pudding in isn’t very deep to allow an even cooking time (4cm deep). Hope that helps! The DH team
This recipe does not work. Outcome is sloppy mushy rice in hot milk. Very disappointing after 2 hours in the oven
I haven’t made this recipe yet but I noticed the amount of sugar used , 2 tablespoons, is very small. Most recipes I’ve made ask for 1/2 cup. The flavor of baked rice pudding is very different than stove top prepared, a flavor that I find is richer and more aromatic. Rice pudding is the epitome of comfort food. I look forward to making this recipe.